New York to Haiti
It is inevitable for me not to notice that God
sent me to New York City, the "Greatest City in the World" where money and
dreams rest, and then to the most poverty stricken country, Haiti, where
destruction and filth reside. Why has God chosen me to be able to go to such
extremes so easily? To see and be a part of both polars is so humbling. I am
inspired by both New York and Haiti and see God avidly in both
locations.
The first time I went to New York I went on two
college visits. My goal was to attend NYU for a degree in cinematography, but
God insisted I go to King's College instead for a degree in MCA
specializing in journalism and film.
Exactly a month after my college visits,
God sent me to Haiti. I was nullified. After living the "high life"
of riches and wealth in the city of lights and dreams (that I know was provided
by God alone), I was shown that God chose the foolish, lowly, weak, and despised
things of the world to nullify the things that are (1 Corinthians 1:28). In other words, everything
that I experienced in New York -the delicious food, ravishing clothes, eye
popping shows, delightful music, and inspiring lights- had no value compared to
what Haiti offered.
Within the dirt, grim, heat, and nothingness of Haiti, I
found more satisfaction than New York could ever offer. Haiti has a welcoming
presence of the Lord; and where the Lord is, there is freedom. You see, Haiti
doesn't have tall, beautiful buildings to gaze upon, or colorful billboards
that advertise the latest Apple product, or loud music playing in the streets;
Haiti has rickety, broken and crumbling buildings, piles of trash, awful
smells, and malnourished children and adults fill the streets.
New York in
itself is a stronghold and distracts you from glorifying God. There is limited freedom because all you see is the latest "new thing"; it's a trap.
Granted, it is easy to forget God nonetheless, but the Haitians have less to
be distracted by. In fact, they can only imagine such great things, but instead
they imagine it through what they know is promised to them: the Kingdom of God.
They rely on God; He is all they truly have, therefore, they practically have
everything. They are so happy! Their genuine laughs and smiles will pierce
through any heart! Their giving hearts will humble even the stingiest! Their
voices in church lift up past the heavens! Yet if you go to New York you will
find that though they have much, they still need more and in church zeal is barely heard
past the front doors. However, don't get me wrong, some of these are completely just differences in our culture. New York has incredible,
inspiring people, but their fixation is off.
The Kingdom of God will advance whether you want it to or not. God's sovereignty puts us in specific places at specific times that he has designated so that we can advance the Kingdom of God in a
specific way. In one year, I will be preparing to go to King's College in New
York City and I believe God is preparing me for this new situation in life through
Haiti. I am going to New York to look for and be with the overlooked. I see aspects of Haiti right in the streets of New York City: woman selling themselves to sex, men without jobs, heinous deeds, and lost, lost people. The lost are overlooked. I don't know how to reach these people and nor do I know how to affiliate myself with them.
So God did this:
So God did this:
In four short days I will be getting on a plane to go back to Haiti. God has completely funded and provided this trip for me; I know it is He who is sending me as a laborer in His harvest. I know that God will be training my feet to move, my eyes to see the afflicted, my hands to hold the broken, and my mouth to ultimately proclaim the Good News and Kingdom of God.
I am a wanderer of and for the Lord Jesus Christ since He has already ordained my steps; how can I know my way? I follow God and He leads me all over the world where I am overwhelmed -by big things like different cultures or architecture to little things like giving a kid a piece of candy and watching their face light up or how someone who speaks a different language tries to pronounce my name- and yet He whispers in my ear, "My love for you is greater than even this."
I am a wanderer of and for the Lord Jesus Christ since He has already ordained my steps; how can I know my way? I follow God and He leads me all over the world where I am overwhelmed -by big things like different cultures or architecture to little things like giving a kid a piece of candy and watching their face light up or how someone who speaks a different language tries to pronounce my name- and yet He whispers in my ear, "My love for you is greater than even this."
Comments
Post a Comment